Pulling the screens away from children can be tough when they are stranded inside, so here are five indoor screen-free ways to keep kids entertained.
There is a nip in the air, and the chill of Fall has grabbed hold of the trees turning their foliage to a stunning combination of deep golds, reds, browns, and oranges. Soon the threat of freezing temperatures will be upon us, and looming grey snow-filled clouds will creep across our beautiful blue Southern sky. A shift in the weather can be a welcomed and comforting sign of the changing seasons, but it also means a transition in how moms and dads keep their little ones entertained. There are no more long evenings outside riding bikes or shooting hoops with neighborhood friends. Instead, nights teem with children anxiously awaiting the euphony of a canceled school day while they finish up their daily homework assignments. Parents, on the other hand, hold their breath with denegation, praying school follows its regular schedule because if the school is not in session what are the kids going to do inside the house?
An easy solution is to hand kids a phone or tablet to preoccupy them. However, parents should be chary of children spending hours of screen time with computers, iPads, game systems, and phones. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends, “children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs and children ages 6 and older should have consistent limits on the time spent using media.” So what are parents supposed to do when they and their children are trapped inside because of severe winter weather? Here are five ideas to keep adults and children happy and entertained and none of them require a glowing screen.
- Create an indoor campsite. Make the indoors just as fun as outside and create a unique space for children to play and relax. Erect a small popup tent and load it with toys, blankets, and books. At lunchtime, stage a picnic inside the tent to add some razzmatazz. If you do not have a tent on hand, get creative with couch cushions and blankets and redecorate a room with a fort!
- Inspire creativity and artistic expression. Set up an art station at the kitchen table and let your little ones paint, color, and glue beautiful new creations for your refrigerator. Make it extra special by creating masterpieces for friends and family and sending them via snail mail. Everyone on the receiving end will be thrilled at the thoughtfulness. Plus, you can integrate lessons about sending heartfelt notes of appreciation and address writing into the activity.
- Cook together. Teaching your children a life skill, like cooking is a valuable lesson they will carry with them throughout their childhood and into adult life. Start with easy recipes, something as simple as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and work your way up to more complex menus. Cookies are always a crowd pleaser and are easy to customize according to an individual’s taste. Plus, your home will fill with a fragrant aroma which adults and children find nostalgic during the fall and winter months.
Cookies mean so much more than the traditional chocolate chip variety. Think outside the box and create a cookie masterpiece the whole family will love like Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies.
- Cuddle up with a book. Encourage your kids to grab a book and snuggle up in bed or on the couch. If they are too young to read themselves, you can read to them. Afterward, ask them to write or illustrate a story of their own inspired by the one they just read.
- Take family game night to the next level. We have all heard of game night before but why not take it up a notch? Instead of sitting around playing a game of Monopoly, consider a ping pong tournament or a gregorious round robin of shuffleboard. Owning a game table in the home is an ingenious way of encouraging your household to put down their iPads and invest their time into a friendly competition with parents, siblings, friends, and neighbors.
Rec Warehouse is an Atlanta-based business offering leisure and recreation equipment, like game tables and game room furniture. It is the perfect shopping destination for any homeowners interested in creating a home environment emulating a vacation-like oasis. They specialize in both indoor and outdoor home entertainment products offering a wide range of merchandise from above ground pools and hot tubs to jukeboxes and billiard tables. They also have superfluous accessories to truly elevate your relaxation and enjoyment with things like outdoor kitchens, misting fans, tanning beds and game room lighting options. Rec Warehouse has three convenient locations around Metro Atlanta, in Kennesaw, Jonesboro, and Norcross. They also have a prolific catalog of products online at recwarehouse.com. Rec Warehouse has an undisputed reputation for superior customer service which they have achieved because of their unrelenting commitment to hire skilled and knowledgeable staff while simultaneously providing high-quality products at affordable prices.
If you want to prepare your household for an impending snow day, consider visiting Rec Warehouse today to secure everything you need to provide your children with screen-free, indoor entertainment.